On my 'Patient Education' page I shared five top self-help health tips that really matter to your health. One of them addressed Sleep in terms of the Circadian Clock mechanism that is important for people to understand.
Insomnia is regarding stubborn, chronic sleep disturbance. The symptoms are unable to sleep, unable to fall asleep, frequent waking and then unable to fall back to sleep, restlessness at night, irregulat sleep cycle, dream disturbed sleep, and above all not getting the correct amount of sleep needed thus waking feeling unrested and fatiqued. To treat it can be as easy as taking a hot shower or bath before bedtime, and no tv, texting and checking emails a couple of hours before bedtime; or stubborn and hellish to deal with.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, there're many causes such as follows:
- unresolved livery frustration, anger, and prolonged emotional turmoil that leads to liver qi stagnation, stagnant heat and even liver fire that has no escape route.
- prolonged worry, anxiety, and depression that results in stagnant qi, heat and fire attcking the heart. When heart can't settle at night, it leads to restless night with little sleep.
- Eating late at night, overeating, eating rich and greasy foods, irregular eating habits all contribute to impaired digestive system that generates stomach and intestinal heat and phlegm that can be unsettling at night.
- Certain deficincies in qi and blood, and yin deficiency in heart, kidney and liver also creates internal heat and havoc to sleep.
- Stressful family life dealing with various forms of abuse, fear, violence, shock, fright and timidity; drugs, alcohol, and certain medication could add stress to the heart and gall bladder, disturb the psyche or deprive sleep.
Any of the above is a big reason for people to seek help. We're well trained to diagnose and treat the symptoms holistically. Good sleep is worth gold as we'd all agree. Sleep is central to your overall health and peace of mind. Good sleep will help you lose weight, and gain a surge of energy that can help you with improved mental stamina and overall happiness.